WAMP user language survey
We asked visitors of the WAMP project homepage to take a quick, two question survery:
- Rank a list of languages according to how important they are for WAMP
- Add any missing languages
A total of 32 users were kind enough to take the survey.
The Language Ranking¶
Here are the rankings for the languages we included on the list. The first number is the average ranking for importance (out of 5), the second number in brackets is how many survey participants gave a rating for the language.
- Python - 3,64 (28)
- Java (Android) - 3.16 (25)
- PHP - 3.06 (24)
- ObjectiveC (iOS) - 2.92 (24)
- Java (JVM/Server) - 2.75 (24)
- C - 2.54 (24)
- C++ - 2.52 (23)
- .NET (Desktop) - 2.24 (23)
- .NET (Server) - 2.05 (21)
- .NET (Windows Phone) - 1.86 (21)
- Lua - 1.67 (21)
- Erlang - 1.5 (22)
Participants generally are either quite polyglot, or gave answers which were looking beyond their particualar field of work: The average answer listed more than five languages as important.
Ruby won this one by far, with a total of seven mentions. Other languages mentioned were Go, Scala, Groovy, Swift, Rust, Ocaml and Haskell.
There were also the requisite joke submissions: LaTeX and Perl (not to diss the latter, but the submitter made it clear he wasn't serious).
Language support - present & future¶
As far as implementations go, the current situation for WAMP v2 is not bad.
An update for Autobahn|Android to WAMP v2 is planned, but due to resource limitations we can't offer a concrete date. When this happens, a library for the Java on the Server should be soon to follow.
[Update 2014-10-24] WampSharp has been updated with WAMP v2 support, and there's now a Java implementation, jawampa. This brings the number of supported languages for WAMP v2 clients up to 8!
As for C, Ruby or any other unsupported languae - anybody reading this interested in joining the WAMP community and contributing an implementation?
(Some of the ground work for a Ruby implementation is already here on GitHub)
Start experimenting and prototyping for IoT applications with Crossbar.io and Raspberry Pi!
Loaded with all the software you need to make the board part of WAMP applications!
- A smarter vending machine
- Crossbar.io's Technology Stack
- Security in the IoT
- WebSocket - persistent across page loads?
- WAMP user language survey
- Mixing Web and WAMP code with Twisted Klein
- Going asynchronous: from Flask to Twisted Klein