IoT Cookbook > Arduino Yun
The Arduino Yun
The material here introduces the Arduino Yun, how to connect the Yun to Crossbar.io and how to talk to the Yun from any other WAMP component, such as a browser or a backend (read more: Crossbar.io/Yun integration in 3 slides).
We also provide ready-to-go recipes for complete IoT components and apps based on the Yun and Crossbar.io.
We recommend reading into the following to get some background info, get things installed and configured and actually get you feet wet and talk to your Yun from a browser:
- Overview - an overview of the Yun, its features and the integration into IoT applications
- Quick Setup - a quick setup recipe using the Autobahn-Yun image we provide
- Generic Serial-to-WAMP bridge - access the Yun's GPIO pins via WAMP
A basic, three part tutorial that shows how to hook up the Yun to Crossbar.io and communicate from any other WAMP component:
You'll learn how to write code running on the microcontroller talking to code running on the Yun's main CPU talking to Crossbar.io and any other WAMP component running somewhere.
Arduino Yun based building blocks for use in IoT applications.
Sensor components that expose a sensor such as a ambient light, tilt or accelerometer by publishing WAMP events when sensor values change and that can be processed by other WAMP components.
- Accelerometer - receive raw acceleromter data or events when a certain threshold has been exceeded
- Tilt Sensor - get notifications when the state of a Tinkerkit tilt sensor changes
- Ambient Light - get the current light level and receive notifications if a threshold value is crossed
- Buttons - receive events for up to 6 buttons connected to a Yun
- Potentiometer - get the value and updates from up to 6 Tinkerkit potentiometers
Actuator components that usually expose an actuator such as a light, buzzer or servo motor as a procedure remotely callable via WAMP from other WAMP components.
- Lights - light up up to 6 LEDs remotely (or any other modules which accept digital write)
Apps combine one or more components into a IoT solution. They usually have code run non-device WAMP components as well, that provides the backend application logic.
- Alarm - simple alarm system. Uses accelerometers, buttons, signallight components and comes with a Web frontend (for desktop + mobile). Can include Arduino Yun, Raspberry Pi and Tessel
The recipes here each cover specific tasks related to handling the Yun.
- System Recovery - restoring the Yun's firmware and resetting Wifi settings
- System Update - getting the most up-to-date version of the Yun's Linux operating system
- Establishing Network Connectivity - Connecting your Yun to ethernet & WiFi
- Connecting via SSH - connecting via SSH to administrate the Yun
- Expanding disk space - using a microSD card to expand the storage on the Yun
- Disabling the serial bridge - disabling the default serial bridge so we can use serial for our own
- Setting up Autobahn|Python - setting up Autobahn|Python and Twisted for Python programming on the Yun
- Creating an overlay image - how to create an extroot overlay SD card image for distribution